Monday, December 14, 2009

THE LEGACY FROM INDIA



Our beloved city, Jakarta has an endangered species. Almost endangered species actually, because it still can be found in almost every corner of Jakarta, roaring...and running free against the wind. But in some part of East Jakarta it cannot be found anymore.

Actually it's not our local species, it was imported from India many years ago. It became famous in Indonesia especially Jakarta even before Amitabh Bachchan and Shahrukh Khan. I'm sure you all know what it is. Yes...It is Bajaj ( bajai ), a three wheels motor vehicle that used as a public transport. In Indonesia, this vehicle named after the biggest automotive company in India, Bajaj Auto meanwhile people in India called this vehicle "Tuk-tuk".

I took the sketch from Jembatan Merah Trans Jakarta shelter, which located in Jalan Gunung Sahari Raya, Central Jakarta. That day, the shelter were full of people. Some people were waiting for the bus and the others were rushing around the shelter. I don't know why those people always looks in a rush (just like John Lennon said: Everybody seems to think I'm lazy. I don't mind. I think they're crazy. Running everywhere at such a speed. Till they find there's no need). But I didn't give a damn about that. So instead of waiting in line or rushing around, I decided to sketch the view outside.

And there were those bajajs...

The legacy from India....

Standing, waiting...fighting for survival.



If you find my english in this writing awful...please do apologize.

sketch: drawing pen snowman 0.05 on maruman artist paper 204.5 g.

No comments: